Our Primary Curriculum is designed for preschool and kindergarten children ages 3-6 and is lead by two of our AMI-certified Montessori instructors. Children in the Primary program get to experience lessons in the following subjects:
- Practical Life Exercises – Exercises that teach basic skills in care of self and care of the environment, and which, at the same time, help develop the child’s fine motor skills and control of movements..
- Sensorial Exercises – Offers children a chance to increase their awareness and discriminate between the different sounds, sights, colors, shapes, tastes, smells, and textures of their world.
- Mathematics – As children interact with the concrete and manipulative they discover the meaning of quantity and gain an overview of the number system.
- Language – Activities will include language awareness, vocabulary development, and an introduction to writing and reading.
- Physical Geography – Materials are used to introduce geographical information.
- Cultural Awareness – Children gain awareness of the world around them by exploring other countries, their customs, foods, music, climate, language, and animals. This helps to raise their consciousness about other people, to gain an understanding and tolerance and, in turn, compassion for all the people in the world.
- Arts and Crafts
- Music and Creative Movement
- Science and Nature – In science the children’s natural curiosity is stimulated through discovery projects and experiments. The plant and animal kingdoms are studied to foster a love and appreciation for all living things.
A typical day in our Primary classroom may see our children preparing and serving food; caring for the environment through washing tables; expressing creativity through art projects; learning math with golden beans and skip counting; expanding their language through phonics, vocabulary, reading and writing; participating in community and cultural activities; and more.
Our school is open every weekday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm but families have the option to enroll for the timeframe that works best for the child and the family*:
8:30 am – 2:30 pm
7:00 am – 5:30 pm
Our daughter went to Summersun after we fell in love with the school from our first experience with our son. The benefits of Montessori Philosophy help build self confidence and life skills. We feel fortunate to have been able to have Summersun staff and the Montessori Philosophy help in cultivating our daughters learning.”
Summersun Montessori is supported, in part, by community participation in two fundraisers. Wreaths and poinsettias are sold during the winter holiday season. Fresh flower baskets are sold in the spring time. If you would like to be notified when these fundraisers are underway, please contact us. Your participation is greatly appreciated, and supports educational developments at Summersun Montessori.
As a non-profit, we rely on the support of our parent community to keep our school running at its best. Summersun parents not only make up the bulk of our board of directors, but also volunteer an average of 20 hours per year to the school, participate in our two yearly fundraisers, and donate the equivalent of a month’s worth of tuition as a tax-deductable gift to the school. Summersun parents rock!
Summersun Montessori Preschool, Kindergarten, and Child Care
1804 Martin Road, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 | 360-428-3510 | email@example.com
Preschool, Kindergarten, and Child Care
1804 Martin Road
Mount Vernon, WA 98273