12 Points of Montessori
- It is based on years of patient observation of child nature by the greatest educational genius since Froebel.
- It has proved itself to be of universal application. Within a single generation it has been tried with complete success with children of almost every civilized nation. Race, color, climate, social rank, type of civilization; all these make no difference to its successful application.
- It has revealed the small child as a lover of work, intellectual work, spontaneously chosen and carried out with profound joy.
- It is based on the child’s imperious need to learn by doing. At each stage in the child’s growth, corresponding occupations are provided by means of which he develops his facilities.
- While it offers the child a maximum of spontaneity, it nevertheless enables him to reach the same, or even a higher level of scholastic attainment as under the old system.
- Though it does away with the necessity of coercion by means of rewards and punishments, it achieves a higher discipline than formerly. It is an active discipline which originates within the child and is not imposed from without.
- It is based on a profound respect for the child’s personality and removes from him the preponderating influence of the adult, thus leaving him room to grow in biological independence. Hence the child is allowed a large measure of liberty (not license) which forms the basis for real discipline.
- It enables the teacher to deal with each child individually in each subject, and thus guide him according to his individual requirements.
- Each child works at his own pace. Hence the quick child is not held back by the slow, nor is the latter, in trying to keep up with the former, obliged to flounder along hopelessly out of his depth. Each stone in the mental edifice is “well and truly laid” before the next is added.
- It does away with the competitive spirit and its train of baneful results. More than this, at every turn it presents endless opportunities among the children for mutual help-which is joyfully given and gratefully received.
- Since the child works from his own free choice, without competition and coercion, he is freed from the danger of overstrain, feeling of inferiority, and other experiences which are apt to be the unconscious cause of profound mental disturbances later in life.
- Finally, the Montessori Method develops the whole personality of the child, not merely his intellectual facilities, but also his powers of deliberation, initiative and independent choice, with their emotional complements. By living as a free member of a real society,
We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but it is somewhat beauty and poetry.
Summersun also offers a child care program during the summer months, which provides educational experiences outside of the academic year. The summer program is geared toward existing Summersun students ages 2-6 years old and mixes learning opportunities with exciting summer adventures.
Our school is open every weekday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm but families have the option to enroll for the timeframe that works best for the child and the family*:
8:30 am – 2:30 pm
7:00 am – 5:30 pm
*Children are not required to be at school during all hours; parents are welcome to drop off and pick up their children at any point within their selected timeframe.
Our daughter went to Summersun after we fell in love with the school from our first experience with our son. The benefits of Montessori Philosophy help build self confidence and life skills. We feel fortunate to have been able to have Summersun staff and the Montessori Philosophy help in cultivating our daughters learning.”
Summersun Montessori is supported, in part, by community participation in two fundraisers. Wreaths and poinsettias are sold during the winter holiday season. Fresh flower baskets are sold in the spring time. If you would like to be notified when these fundraisers are underway, please contact us. Your participation is greatly appreciated, and supports educational developments at Summersun Montessori.
As a non-profit, we rely on the support of our parent community to keep our school running at its best. Summersun parents not only make up the bulk of our board of directors, but also volunteer an average of 20 hours per year to the school, participate in our two yearly fundraisers, and donate the equivalent of a month’s worth of tuition as a tax-deductable gift to the school. Summersun parents rock!